How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Japanese partner has been in the UK for 8 years on a "settlement

This answer was rated:

My Japanese partner has been in the UK for 8 years on a "settlement wife" visa basis. We have been living together with her British daughter for just over a year. Her husband wants a divorce. Please advise what we should do in order to make her a permanent UK resident?

Has she applied for Indefinite Leave to Remain yet? If not, why not?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She has got Indefinite Leave to Remain on her current Visa and her husband had not asked for a divorce until last week.




Just to be clear - she has "Indefinite Leave to Remain" stamped in place of her visa in her passport?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's right,she has to produce two passports when she travels abroad as it is on her original passport but not on her new one.


Thanks for your patience.

She does not have to do anything at all to secure her permanent stay in the UK. She holds ILR, this means that she has an right to remain in the UK for an indefinite time regardless of whether she stay married to her husband.

The only time that the UKBA takes action to revoke ILR is if there is clear evidence that it was obtained fraudulently (eg. False documents). Given that she has been married to him for I presume over 8 years there is absolutely no chance of the UKBA taking revocation action. None at all.

She should see a solicitor about representing her in her divorce proceedings, with a view to arranging the financial settlement and who is to have residence/contact with the chid but she does not have to do anything to avoid compromising her immigration status. Only if she leaves the UK for a significant period of time would it be curtailed.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions