How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can i relocate to the united states or united kingdom

This answer was rated:

how can i relocate to the united states or united kingdom legally?

Thanks for your patience.

I'm afraid that if you are not in a relationship with a UK national, EEA national or person holding Indfinite Leave to Remain in the UK OR you don't have an children settled in the UK OR you do not have access to significant funds (ie.£200, 000.00) for the purpose of investment in the UK then your options for coming to the UK are very limited.

The HSMP category is now closed to new applicants.

Your options are:-

1) Student Visa

You would need an offer to study at a university/college in the UK . The college he receives his offer from MUST be on the current list of register of sponsors for Tier 4 visa applications. Here is the current list but you must check it constantly because colleges are very frequently losing their licences and being taken off the list:-
You should look to receive an offer from an “A Trusted” college. This is a much safer option.

You will have to meet the required amount of points under the points based system as well, these are very restrictive in terms of the amount of maintenance funds you must have. All the UKBA information on eligilbity and applying is contained on the following link:-

Details on how to apply are available on page links in the above links.

2) Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers Visa provisions. You will have to see if there is a job that you could do in the UK on the shortage occupation list:-

You would have to then secure a job offer from a UK employer who is or would become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants:-

If your job is not on this list then this means that you employer would have to apply to become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants and also confirm to the UKBA that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that their are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform your role, though this might be difficult if there are other accounts officers who could do the role.

If they are willing to sponsor then you will also have to meet the requisite number of points under the Tier 2 points based system:-

You will see at the top right hand side there is an option to use their calculator to work out how many points you are eligible for.

There is lots of information on Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers visas here:-

Sorry it could not be better news, it's very difficult coming to the UK if you are not in a relationship with someone who is already here at the moment.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your response. however am not particularly happy with your response as it did not address the question asked on the US and how possible i can remain in the uk.


I am a frequent traveller to both countries. i have a good job here in Nigeria hence i am being very careful in ensuring that where ever i choose to relocate i can adequately work and live comfortably like i presently do.


The 2 options you have given seems pretty difficult. i am not sure if i apply as a student i would be allowed to remain in the UK after my course this is another area of concern you failed to address.


I also tried the websites you quoted in your mail and i could not locate the areas of referrals.


Thanks and hoping to hear from you soon.


Best Regards





You have posted your question to the UK Law/UK Immigration Law, you will have to post a question to the Immigration Law category for a US attorney to provide you with answer I'm afraid.

If you come as a student then you would only be able to apply to stay here indefinitely is you have legal leave to remain for ten years, which is very difficult. However, if you are here as a student then it makes it a lot easier in terms of searching for jobs which you can be sponsored for under the Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker Provisions.

The links in my answer above are correct, if you just copy and past the text in to your address box in your browser it should link directly to them.

Trust this clarifies.

Kind regards,