How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do you normally apply for a visa before entering the country

This answer was rated:

Do you normally apply for a visa before entering the country and will I have access to the NSH system once I am in the UK?

What nationality are you?

Are you applying for settlment here as a civil partner of a UK citizen or are you applying on a visit-only basis?

Where are you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

We both reside in Australia and have not lived in the UK. We will be applying for a visa to live in the UK.


Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you MUST apply for and obtain a visa before you travel. You will have to apply as the civil partner of your UK citizen partner and obtain the leave to remain stamp (ie. the visa) in your passport before you travel.

If you do not do this you will not be granted entry to the UK and the attempt to enter without having a visa could affect any future applications you submit to come to the UK.

IN terms of healthcare once you have obtained your visa, you will have to ensure that you have health insurance to cover the costs of healthcare that you received HOwever, the following are always free of charge:-
- treatment given in an accident and emergency (A&E) department or in an NHS walk-in centre that provides services similar to those of an A&E department;
- treatment for certain infectious diseases (but for HIV/AIDS, only the first diagnosis and counselling that follows it are free);
compulsory psychiatric treatment; and
-family planning services.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you