How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a residence card holder married to a british citizen,my

This answer was rated:

Im a residence card holder married to a british citizen,my husband need to go to work abroad for 1 year and take me and our baby with him, I am on my second year of my qualifying period and i would like to apply for naturalization at some point,what can I do if i need to go but i havent complete the qualification period?

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that in order to naturalise as a UK national you must first apply for and obtain Permanent Residence. In order to qualify for this you must have spent 5 years in the UK on your residence card.

Some time outside the UK is permitted, but absences of more than 6 months in any one year are not. Therefore if you spend a year outside the UK whilst your husband works then you will have to return to the UK once you all do to start your 5 year period again in order to apply for PR.

Sorry it could not be better news. You will see confirmation on page 17 of the form for applying for PR here:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions