Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I have a friend coming over from South Africa who wants to

I have a friend coming over from South Africa who wants to put my name on her visitor visa application. If she does some freelance work while she is here, I know that she would break the law, but would I be in trouble too if my name has been given?

Thanks for your question.

I presume that your friend has asked you to either provide a Sponsorship Declaration or a Letter of Sponosship for her application.

This is a simply letter/declaration which states that you are her friend and shall support and accomodate her whilst she is here (if required) and she meet the costs of any unforeseen expense she should incur whilst here to ensure that she is able to return to SA.

This is the standard arranggement and if you agree to it then you will not face any criminal proceedings in the event that she does not return provided you can do what you say in the declaration. A staturoty declaration is a statement of truth so if you do not do what you say in it then you can (potentially) face crminal proceedings, whereas a letter of sponsorship cannot be enforced against you in the same way.

You should caution your friend that she should not work because it would be a breach of the immigration rules and you are not prepared to give a letter of sponsorship if she is intending to work. If she assures you that she shall not work then you can sponsor her.

If you limit the sponsorship letter/declaration in the above way (ie. to expenses to enable return/accomodate) then you woudl not face financia consequences beyond this costs.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom