How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i just received my approved indefinite leave to remain here

Customer Question

i just received my approved indefinite leave to remain here in uk... my working visa will expire on 05 december 2013...can i bring my children here in uk through my working visa?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Have you applied for and obtained "indefinite leave to remain" from the UKBA?

How old are you children?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes i have already obtained "indefinite leave to remain. my childred are ages 17 and 16
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Drafting your answer. 5 mins.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

If you have obtained ILR then you are regarded as being “settled” in the UK. Therefore you family would have to apply for settlement to come to the UK rather than as a dependent of your previous visa .

They should apply immediately, once a child is older than 18 they are no longer regarded as chidren and instead as adults in their own right. Once they are 18 they would have to apply for student or working visas rather than rely on you.

Here is the link to the UKBA on applying for a visa as a child of someone who is settled here, this is what they must apply for:-

In order to apply their other parent must either have passed away OR have given up sole responsibility for the children to you OR there must be genuine compassionate circumstances which apply which mean that they are better here with you.

Provided these circumstances fit yours then you can apply and would have to do so by completing and submitting Form SET(F), details of which are contained on the above link as well.

The best thing you can do is to instruct a solicitor to assist in the preparation of the application for you, they will tailor the application and the supporting documentation to your particular circumstances to give you the best possible chance of obtaining visas for your children.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.


I don't understand your post.

PLease rate my answer.


Related UK Immigration Law Questions