UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
62162956

Hello, as an Irishman, I wanted to change my passport to British

Customer Question

Hello, as an Irishman, I wanted to change my passport to British and I am 33 years old living in England since 1997. I was told that if either of my parents were born before or during 1949 then I can apply?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.

where were your parents born and when? where were you born and when?

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My parents were born in the Republic of Ireland in 1949 and 1951. Me 1978 in there too but moved to England in 1997. I know about born in Northern Ireland that can claim both passports.
Thank you.

You may apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen and if approved, you may then apply for a British passport: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/applying/applicationtypes/naturalisation/

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please give me more information such as how does it work? You charge me £43!
You are not an automatic British Citizen, you first need to apply for naturalisation as a Briitsh Citizen as you are settled in the UK and have lived here for more than 5 years. The UK Home Secretary has discretion whether or not to grant your application but if you do not have any criminal history, your application should be granted.

You need to pass the Life in the UK test first. The form to fill in is AN. The website I gave you a link to contains all the necessary information.

Hope this clarifies. Please leave positive feedback

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Morning,

Thank you for your response and you said this.

You are not an automatic British Citizen, you first need to apply for naturalisation as a Briitsh Citizen as you are settled in the UK and have lived here for more than 5 years.

What about people of Northern Ireland? They are entitled to two passports?

So, what is naturalisation? Does it mean I have to apply for naturalisation and then apply for British passport? I noticed that it will cost me £851?

Yes, people born in Northern Ireland are entitled to both UK and irish passports.

You were born in the Republic, so you are not entitled to a UK passport automatically.

Naturalisation basically means you apply to the Government to grant you citizenship provided you meet various criteria. It is at the discretion of the UK Government whether or not to grant you naturalisation and allow you to become a British Citizen.

Yes, the cost is as you point out unfortunately, everyone has to pay that, even EU/Irish nationals if they wish to naturalise as UK citizens.