How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am a gay nigerian currently studying in the uk and will like

This answer was rated:

i am a gay nigerian currently studying in the uk and will like to know if there are any chances for me to be considered asylum on humanitarian grounds

Please describe the treatment of gay persons in Nigeria?

Where are you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When u get caught or if they get a hint of ur sexuality u could be jailed for 14yrs. A bill was passed by the government early this year which outlawed homosexuality its now punishable by a 14yr jail sentence. there is a lot of stigma. am in chelmsford essex

Thanks for your reply.

Claiming Asylum is very difficult. In practice only 19 of 100 applications are actually accepted.

In order to claim asylum you must show that you have a well founded fear of persecution because of:-
 race;
 religion;
 nationality;
 political opinion; or
 membership of a particular social group.

You have to collect evidence of homosexuality to prove you are a member that group, so statements from your and other partner(s), perhaps evidence that you have lived together.

You then have to prove that you have well-founded fear that you will suffer persecution in NIgeria because of it. This can be in the form of newspaper articles about similar persecution, reports from charities, governments and other sources of information, evidence of the legislation to which you refer. You need to get as much documentary proof which confirms the possibility that they will suffer at the hands of peoples within the state or the state itself because of their religion.

You need to be well prepared. You can contact Asylum Aid, which is an asylum charity who can offer advice on how to proceed with preparing their claim and actually claiming asylum once they are here:-

If you have access to money then you should speak to a UK immigration solicitor now about your position and get help in preparing their asylum documentation and claim.

You can find immigration soliciotrs in your area by using the following search engine and selecting “Immigration”:-

lease remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions