UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

Hi, Im currently on a Tier 4 student visa obtained in September

I'm currently on a Tier 4 student visa obtained in September 2009. My initial admission was for a 4 year course, but I had the choice to change it to a 3 year course and I did so, Therefore I still have more than a year left until my visa expires. I will be starting a Ph.D. at the same university and I have already received my CAS number. The confusion comes from the apparent conflict in the regulations concerning change of circumstances:
I have finished my course early, which mean my visa may be curtailed. But I will be starting a new course with my current Tier 4 sponsor, which mean I can use my current visa and apply before it expires. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this situation.

Also, if my visa is to be curtailed, when and how will I receive the UKBA's notice? I graduated on 1st of June and I was not required to register with the police. Does the UKBA receive updated postal addresses from my Tier 4 sponsor?

Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

You do not need to get the UKBA's permission if you want to do a different course of study with your Tier 4 sponsor and the new course will finish before your current permission to stay expires. Your Tier 4 sponsor will tell the UKBA that you have changed course.

If your new course will end before your permission to stay expires, you must tell the UKBA by sending an email message to [email protected].

If your new course will end after your current permission to stay expires, you will need to make a new Tier 4 application to the UKBA. You will therefore need a new confirmation of acceptance for studies from your Tier 4 sponsor.

You can make this new application at any time before your current permission to stay expires, but I recommend that you do this as soon as possible.

The UKBA usually inform you by letter if your visa has been curtailed but I suggest you do the above and inform your Tier 4 Sponsor to inform the UKBA of your change of course, or if your leave to remain expires before your course ends, send them an email.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your advice. I still don't know whether my visa will be curtailed or not, and this is an important issue as it will affect many of my decisions for the next few months (e.g. travelling back home for the rest of the summer, getting ready for visa application, etc).
I emailed the UKBA about 2 weeks ago but have not received a response yet.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could clarify my situation a bit more.

The UKBA usually notify you in writing, if not then you may wish to access your records under the freedom of information act which allows you to see what the UKBA hold on your file, there is a fee of £10 payable for the service. You will need to write to the following address, enclosing a cheque:

UK Border Agency
Freedom of Information Act Policy Team
11th Floor
Lunar House, Short Corridor
40 Wellesley Road
Croydon
CR9 2BY

Please see following link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/navigation/foi/

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively.

Kind regards,

I have noticed you have not rated my answer.

Kind rate my answer so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards