How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does the spouse of a UK citizen holding an indefinite permission

This answer was rated:

Does the spouse of a UK citizen holding an indefinite permission to stay need a work permit to take a job in the UK?

The spouse holds "indefinite leave to remain" and this is stamped in their passport.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

No, they do not require any work permit or any other kind of permission from the UKBA in order to work.

Indefinite leave to remain means that the person may stay in the UK for as long as they wish and work without restriction – that is the point of ILR, it means there stay in the UK and ability to work is no longer time-limited.

If there is an employer or any other person questioning the person’s right to work then they should be referred to the following UKBA guidance and specifically page 38 “INDEFINITE LEAVE TO ENTER OR REMAIN, OR NO TIME LIMIT ON A PERSON’S STAY IN THE UK” for confirmation:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you