How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Chinese wifes 2 year visa expires shortly and we are in

This answer was rated:

My Chinese wife's 2 year visa expires shortly and we are in the process of filling in the form to extend it, however we cannot find the required divorce papers from her previous marriage in China. Is there anything we can do?

Did you have to divorce form when you applied for the spouse visa initially?

What application are you making, for Further Leave to Remain or Indefinite Leave To Remain?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Further leave to remain as my wife needs more time to pass the living in Uk test
Can a further copy be obtained from China or wherever she divorced?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
difficult and lengthy if done in person, otherwise almost impossible
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if done in person very difficult and lengthy...if not in person impossible

Thanks for your reply.

The UKBA keeps copies of all documents submitted with spouses visas. This would have included a copy of the divorce decree that your wife received and submitted with her application.

However, relying on the UKBA is not the most ideal position to be in from my professional experience.

In the circumstances I would say that you should submit the document without the copy of the decree but write in your covering letter that it appears that you have simply misplaced it. Refer to the fact that it was submitted with the original application and ask them to retrieve the file, consult and obtain a further copy for use in your FLR application.

State that this should not be considered to be a controversial request since the spouse visa would not have been issued without the divorce papers and outline the apparently draconian requirements of the Chinese government to have a certified copy. State that a reasonable person would consider it unreasonable and disproportionate to require an applicant to attend China in person to obtain a copy of a decree which has already been examined upon consideration and determination of the initial spouse visa application.

On balance, I would hope the caseworker is sympathetic and accepts the omission on reliance on the copy they have held.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you