How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have lived in the Uk for 9yrs now, i had a 2yrs visiting

This answer was rated:

I have lived in the Uk for 9yrs now, i had a 2yrs visiting visa when i came in but lost my passport and have been here ever since. I have been trying to find my way out of this unfortunately situation without any success.

I am happy to deal with your UK immigration law issues.

What is your query please?

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Like i explained in my Advert i have lived in the UK for 9yrs now after i lost my passport. Arrived here on a 2yrs visiting visa which i am sure you know means i had two previous 6month visiting visas before i was granted the 2yrs.
I was in the process of trying to recover my lost passport with the help of my dad but i lost him the year later and so i have been here ever since.

And more information recently came to light based on what happened, and all the time i have spent here i have managed to reflect on my circumstance and it seems likely that my dad was protecting me from something cos before he passed away he came down to see me took all the family pictures i had with me and gave me my national ID card which i still have with me, then he mysteriously passed away.

Is there a way i can make a case for asylum based on this, i would relish the best advice possible. Thanks
Thanks for your question/n .

For clarity and the avoidance of doubt, could you please respond to the following USING THE SAME NUMBERING:-
1. How old are you
2. On what basis would you clam asylum, what is the persecution that you live in fear of? This is a requirement to claim asylum
Kind regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1.I am 27 now.

2.Thanks for your reply. Basically i think i can prove that i did not intentionally want to live here illegally as i have been here twice with my 6month visiting visa and left before it expired, records will show on both occasions i arrived less than a month before the 6months would lapse this was because i was in secondary school then and i was not allowed to travel until the school term was over.

And concerning my safety and why i believe the things happened the way they did. I am sure most people know my country Nigeria is not the most honest country in present times. My late dad was a GM AUDIT for the company he works for, a very straight forward man and did his job the best he could. It is a while back but i remember he always did say to my mum some of his work colleagues and bosses wanted him to alter some of the company account details but he wouldn't.
With time the company went under new administration and a lot of people where layed off with out benefits i think and i am certain himself and the family where threatened and obviously he wouldn't come to his young son and say your life might be in danger. I have thought this through over the years and i am certain that's what happened.

Its been almost 9yrs since my dad died and i haven't been able to move forward, tried going to uni but i couldn't get a student load, cant work as well, i just want to get on with my life. Would really appreciate if i can give me a solid advice that is possible or perhaps see me through the process cos the way it is with the 9yrs i have spent here without a criminal record and the chance that my life might be at risk back where i come from i should be able to become legal down here.

whatever details or document you need please do let me know

Are you in a relationship with anyone and if so please state their immigration status in the UK?

Do you have any children?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No i am not, and no i do not have any kids

Thanks for your reply

If you are not in a relationship with anyone and do not have any children then the only option available to you is to apply for asylum. The fact that you have been in the UK for 9 years is not relevant because you may only apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after 10 years in the country if you have had legal leave to remain for the whole of that period, so this is not an option.

Claiming Asylum is very difficult. In practice only 19 of 100 applications are actually accepted.

In order to claim asylum you must show that you have a well founded fear of persecution because of:-
 race;
 religion;
 nationality;
 political opinion; or
 membership of a particular social group.

If your claim is not genuine then you will be refused. You have to identify which of the above you belong to then prove that you have well-founded fear that you will suffer persecution in Nigeria because of your membership to that group.. This can be in the form of newspaper articles about similar persecution, reports from charities, governments and other sources of information. You need to get as much documentary proof which confirms the possibility that you will suffer at the hands of peoples within the state or the state itself because of your membership of that group.

You can get advice on claim asylum via:-

If you have access to money then you should speak to a UK immigration solicitor now about their position and get help in preparing their asylum documentation and claim.
You can find immigration soliciotrs in your area by using the following search engine and selecting “Immigration”:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you