How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

SET(M) - old or new rules? URGENT My

This answer was rated:

SET(M) - old or new rules? URGENT

My husbands entered the country on a VAF4 Fiance settlement visa in January 2010. His FLR(M) was granted on 9th August 2010 and expires on 10th August 2012.
We have assumed that we are applying for SET(M) under the pre 9th July 2012 changes as he has been applying for settlement from the start of the process. We have an appointment tomorrow morning with the Manchester City Council Settlement Checking service. We have just returned from holiday this weekend and a letter from the Manchester office confirming our appointment says make sure we have completed the July 2012 version of the form, we had completed the April 2012 version before going away.
Please can you confirm which version of the form we should complete, and more importantly, can we apply for SET(M) after his 2 years on the FLR(M) (pre 9th July rules) or should we be applying for a further FLR(M) to get 5 years residence (post July 9th rules) ?
I am now confused about which set of rules applies to us.

Thanks, Davina

Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.


The rules which will be applicable to you will the be the rules pre 9th July 2012, although the council may be asking you to complete the most up to date form the rules applicable will be those which were in place prior to 9th July 2012 so the applicant is able to apply for settlement after 2 years, apply using SET M July 2012 version.


I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.


Kind regards,

UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you