How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My domestic worker visa has expired (45 days). What is your

This answer was rated:

My domestic worker visa has expired (45 days). What is your guidance to be able to extend this visa - if this is feasible ?

Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. What is the explanation behind the overstay?
2. Are you in a relationship with anyone and, if so, what is there immigration status?

Kind regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1. This domestic worker has been working for me for the past 7 years, and every year I have been successful in the applications for extension. It has been a genuine mistake from my part whereby only today did I check the passport and visa status to find out it had expired on 15.06.12.
2. I am married and both my wife and I are UK citizens. I am the domestic worker's employer.

Thanks for your reply.

If a person’s visa has expired for more than 28 days then this is a general ground for the UKBA to refuse most types of visas, including this one, see Immigration Rule 320 7B:-

Therefore if you make an application in the normal way it will be rejected. The only chance that you would have is submitting the application but with a covering letter mitigating the overstay by referring to your oversight. With this you yourself should write a letter confirming that it was your mistake and that she should not be held responsible and referring to the previous observance of the immigration rules throughout her stay.

It will be entirely at their discretion whether or not to accept it, there is a chance but ultimately each visa national is responsible to ensure they don’t run out of leave to remain so the mistake is still hers.

It’s worth an application but you may have a fight on your hands and, frankly the best thing you could do is to instruct a solicitor to draft the mitigation letters.

If she is in a relationship with an EEA national then she could probably apply to stay here without leave if she has cohabited with them for two years or more OR she is married to them. If she is married to a UK national or person holding Indefinite Leave to Remain then she can probably able to stay here if they have a salary in excess of 18, 600gbp, but she would probably have to leave the UK to make the application from her home country.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions