How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are a smal UK Company looking to employ and American Citizen

This answer was rated:

We are a smal UK Company looking to employ and American Citizen living in the US. Is this problematic? Expensive?
Will the person be based in the US or UK?

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Moving to the UK
Thank you.

The person needs to have proper authorisation to work in the UK and you need to check that they have the right to do so, as you could be fined up to £10,000 for failing to carry out proper checks as to their right to work.

If they have no UK work visa, they may apply for a tier 2 (general) visa which you need to sponsor as an employer. Full details here:

You need to issue them with written terms of their employment within 2 months of them starting work, ensure you pay them at least the national minimum wage and ensure compliance with tax. You also need to take out employers liability insurance.

See here:

Hope this helps

UKSolicitorJA and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions