How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hallow, I just wanted to know how long do I have to stay in

This answer was rated:

I just wanted to know how long do I have to stay in the UK to apply for a British Citizenship if I have an Ancestral visa? I have stayed for almost three years now so far.

Thanks for your question.

If you are here in the UK working on an ancestry visa because of your grandparents being UK citizens then you will be eligible to apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen after you have remained in this category and in the UK for 5 years:-
Please note the other requirements as to residence, in particular that you must be free of immigration time restrictions for 12 months before you make your application. This means that effectively you will be able to apply for naturalisation 6 years after you came to the UK on your ancestry visa because you can only apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after 5 years.

Provided you remain in the UK working and do not let you leave to remain expire then you will be fine.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you