How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been Married 4 years with an English Citizen. I already

This answer was rated:

I have been Married 4 years with an English Citizen. I already have an UK Indefinitive leave to remain visa. In May I aplied for the UK Citizenship as the wife of a English National. The Home Office replied they have my documents, they took the application fee and they are procesing the application.

It has been 2 months since the home office have my application.

For personal reasons I want to divorce my husband. If I do that, what would be the implications for my current citizenship application? Will that change my status?

T_Graham12 :


Thanks for your question.


If you issue divorce proceedings then you would be effectively saying that your married is at an end. If you have applied for naturalisation on the basis that you are married to a UK citizen and therefore only have to prove that you are married and have been in the UK for three years then they may refuse your application if they find out about the divorce proceedings.


The only way that they would take enforcement action to revoke your ILR is if they had proof that you obtained it whilst believing that your marriage was at an end. The usually only do this where they have absolute proof that your marriage was at an end around the time you applied for or obtained ILR.


IN the wider scheme of things a divorce can take 5 months on average so I would say wait until you have heard back on your application rather than complicate things.


Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.


If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.


If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,



Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you