How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11843
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a British national and my partner is a Kenyan. I have

This answer was rated:

I am a British national and my partner is a Kenyan. I have just finished my last contract after working out here in Kenya for most of the last 3 and a half years (with some gaps in 2011). My partner and I have been together for 2 years. We had planned to stay together in Kenya for a few more months and had been thinking about getting married during that time, but I have just found out I'm pregnant so we've had to change our plans, as the work I've been doing in Kenya is no longer possible.
We have thought about getting married now and applying for him to settle in the UK, but neither of us are sure that we want to stay in the UK permanently after our child is born, as he has family and commitments here in Kenya and I work internationally. So it's unlikely we would be able to stay for the full 5 years now required for settlement and we do not want to waste the large application fee and possibly also the chance to apply for a settlement visa later on if we're not going to follow it through now.
Is he likely to be successful if he applies for a visitor visa for up to 6 months instead? We want him to be in the UK for the birth of our child and during that time we could make a decision about where we plan to settle longer term. What do you think the chances would be of a visitors visa being approved, given our circumstances (ie., a clear reason for visiting, but his immediate family would actually be in the UK rather than in Kenya so it could be difficult to demonstrate why he would return)?
Also if a short term visa would be approriate, which type would be best to apply for (which is most likely to be approved)? Should we try a marriage visa, family visit or multiple entry visits?

INC : Please remember to RATE my answer by using the smiley faces OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE. If you seek clarification please ask.
INC : Hi, a marriage visa is for people wishing to marry in the uk and then return to their home country.
INC : Your situation is difficult as you do not know where you wish to live in the future.
INC : With a visitors visa, your paryner will have to show that he intends to leave the uk at the end of his proposed trip. I would suggest applying for a visitors visa and explaining in the application that he intends to return to kenya at the end of proposed trip and that you are not sure where you wish to reside at this stage and will be making an application for settlement in the future, if the need arises.
INC : If the application is refused, your partner will be given the right to appeal.
INC : I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click ACCEPT.
INC : If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.
INC : kind regards,

Thanks for your quick response, I understand that's what we would have to explain if he applies for a visitors visa, but my question is which visitors visa is most appropriate and likely to be successful - marriage, family visit or multiple entry?

INC : hi,
INC : either a family visit visa or a family visit multi-entry visa would be the most appropriate.

Many thanks for your prompt answers!

INC and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions