How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am about to get married to a Macedonian citizen and I want

This answer was rated:

I am about to get married to a Macedonian citizen and I want to know how my future husband can gain citizenship to the UK. Can we travel to the UK after we are married? If so what documents do we need? How long can we stay in the UK? Can he work in the UK after we are married? Currently we are living in Spain where I am a Spanish resident. After we are married my future husband will also be registered as a Spanish resident.

Thanks for your question.

If you are an EEA member state national then he will have to obtain an EEA family permit first. In order to do this you must first either be married.

He will have to apply for and obtain an EEA family permit in order to secure leave to remain in the UK to work. He will need to apply for it before he can travel and must submit the appropriate documentation to the UK embassy closest to him:-

Once he has come to the UK on her family permit she will be eligible to apply to the UKBA for a residence card which confirms her right of residence in the UK on the basis of your marriage:-

It will either take the form of an endorsement in her passport or as a separate immigration status documents confirming her right to reside here for 5 years.

At the end of this time she will be able to apply for a Permanent Residence here if she wishes and has not spent significant time outside the UK (also see the above link).

Once he has held PR for 12 months then he can apply for naturalisation as a UK citzen provided he meets the criteria on the following page:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My future husband is from Macedonia and I am a UK citizen. He would like to transfer some funds from the sale of a property in Skopje to his account in Spain. Are there any currency regulations that we should know about. The amount will be in excess of 100,000 Euros.
Ah, sorry. If you are a British Citizen I am going to have to revise my answer.

If he stays in Spain for a sufficient amount of time to naturalise as a Spanish citizen then he can move to the UK without restriction because he would have a Spanish passport and get EEA rights.

If he is to move with you to UK before he becomes a Spanish citizen then he would have to apply for a spouse visa.

The eligibility criteria for a spouse visa is as follows:-
• Your are married
• You plan to live permanently together here
• You can support each other without the need for public funds
• You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds
• must earn a minimum income threshold of £18,600, but the figure is increased if children are coming to £22,400 for one child and an additional £2,400 for each further child.

You would have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• Bank statements from both you and your wife going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your fiance showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give you a further tenancy agreement

• You should also include job adverts showing jobs available that you could do when you come here and show, via your CV, that you have the qualifications and work experience that you would be a viable candidate for those roles
Further information here:-

She will also have to pass an Englsh Language test:-

I am afraid that I am unsure of any money regulations because the transfer would be from Spain to Skojpe so the applicable laws would be in those countries and I am a UK lawyer.

Kind regards,