How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed Cambridge ESOL Skills for Life Entry 3 Speaking

This answer was rated:

My husband passed Cambridge ESOL Skills for Life Entry 3 Speaking & Listening in 2008 and has his certificate and a letter from the college as specified in the SET(M) guidance notes. At the time he was an asylum seeker and my fiance. He returned to his home country so that we could submit a VAF4(F) application and eventually that got granted and we married in Feb 2010 and his FLR(M) now expires at the beginning of August.

We want to know if this certificate and letter will be acceptable or if he needs to try and pass the Life in the UK Test before we submit our application.?

We had wanted to use the premium service but no appointments seem to be available in the next 6 weeks. If the certificate is acceptable will the length of time between then (June 2008) and now be a problem? Should we make any reference to this in our application as we won't be able to give any additional answers in person. He returned to Afghanistan before the end of the next term at the college and when he returned over a year later he concentrated on studying to pass his driving test and then on finding work and has not done any more language study at a college.

Thanks for your question.

I presume you are asking for purpose of applying for Indefinite Leave To Remain. In order get ILR you have to demonstrate that you have knowledge of language and life in the UK:-

In these circumstances you will see on the above link that because he has obtained ESOL at level 3 he is regarded as a English Speaker. This means that he will have to pass the “Life in the UK Test” in order to be eligible for ILR.

Further guidance on the life in the UK test is on the drop down menu at the bottom of the page.

You will see from the following link that the test he has passed does not have an expiry date, so if he submits his certificate and proof that he has passed the life in the UK test when he submits his application then he should obtain ILR if he meets the other eligibility criteria:-

The fact that he has been out of the country since passed the test should not affect the validity of the test.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions