Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Looking for a lawyer who has experience with EUROPEAN Immigration

Looking for a lawyer who has experience with EUROPEAN Immigration law, I'm a European living and working in the UK wish to marry my Taiwanese partner whom I met 2 1/2 yrs ago, could we get married without a marriage visa and can she enter and we get married using her visafree entry, after we marry she would have to apply for an EEA family permit to come to live with me in the UK
Hi

Thanks for your question.

I would not really advise it. The visa waiver program is in place for foreign nationals wishing to come to the uk for a short (ie. less than 6 months) visit and then leave before the expiry of their visa, which is technically a visitor’s visa.

Whilst it is physically possible for her to come her under the VWP and marry you because there are no longer any restrictions on foreign nationals marrying in the UK, the UKBA can be difficult when people do so and then apply for a family permit thereafter.

It can usually be sorted out if one enters under the VWP, because you can argue that it would be disproportionate and unreasonable to expect he national to return home only to apply and be granted a family permit but you may be forced to appeal and incur legal fees. These legal fees may be more than it would cost for you to marry where she is in order for her to aply for a family permit straight away from Taiwan, not to mention the stress of if.

Instead I would advise you marrying in Taiwan, or elsewhere on and that she then applies for a family permit out of country.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My last reply before I rate your answer: To clarify, it is best she doesn't come on a 6 months visafree to get married as it may get complicated later when she applies for an EEA family permit- is this correct?. This is our 2nd marriage visa we are currently applying for-worried if it gets refused again- what then? (the first one was refused as my partner didn't show she had money in her account)-but we got it accepted on appeal. I'm a little confused why someone in UKBA said my partner could come into the UK under European law and she would be free to marry and it wouldn't be a problem because most of the EEA family permits will be granted. We do have all documentation to prove our relationship is genuine and I own my own home, work and will support her etc. I would rather marry in the UK

Sorry for the delay.

Yes, your first sentence is correct. In the ideal scenario you should be married outside the UK and apply for a family permit once married.

If she comes on a visitor's visa to marry you then she can probably apply and be succesful (probably on appeal) in getting a family permit thereafter, but you run the risk of the UKBA considering that her coming her under the VWP is a form of deception. This is particulaly the case if there are any other examples of deceptive behaviour. Usually, it can be sorted out where the person is plainly of good character but my personal view is that it is preferable to avoid the uncertainty.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Tom