How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My single 22 year old son from my previous marriage

This answer was rated:

My single 22 year old son from my previous marriage lives in South Africa but would like to come join me in the U.K. He is working as a trailer mechanic at present and has N4 & N5 (technical qualification). I am prepared to sponsor him as both my husband and I are working. I've just become a U.K. citizen. I entered the U.K. on a spouse visa. I long to have my son near me. He come out here on holiday in 2010. I eagerly await your response, kind regards, XXXXX
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Would you like your son to join you in the UK on a permanent basis?
Would he be willing to come to the UK on a work visa?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi there. He's name isXXXXX and he would like to come on a permanently basis. He wants to come join me (his mother), his sister and step dad. He's dad lives in Zambia so Sean's on his own in South Africa.
What is the situation on working visas as he doesn't have a formal qualification (mechanical qualification) as he's only 22.
Leonie XXXX
Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately once a child has reached the age of 18 they will be seen as some one whom is an adult and thus no longer part of the family unit. Therefore any application made as your dependent will most likely be refused.

You can however apply for the ukba to use their discretion in your case and provide evidence that he has not married and still financially dependent on your self and therefore is still part of the family unit. Although the threshold to satisfy is very high it can be an application which may be successful.

Unless your son has a UK equivalent of a Bachelor's degree then he will not be able to apply for a work visa in the uk.

He may however apply for a student visa to the uk. He will be granted a visa for the duration of his course. He would also need to apply to a college or university whom will then need to accept him on their course.

Depending on what he would like to do these will be the options available to you.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly leave positive feedback so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards
Thank you for your reply.

Kind see my previous reply.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you