UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I am a US citizen married to a British National (wife). What

I am a US citizen married to a British National (wife).
What would it take procedurally for me to get a British Passport?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 5 years ago.

Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Please clarify the following:

Are you currently in the UK? if so for how long?

What visa are your currently on?

Is it your intention to reside perminantley in the as a family?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Not currently in UK.

Not intending to reside permanently in UK at this time, though that may be an option.

Would like a British passport as sometimes having an American passport may not be the safest situation.

US Citizen currently in America, no visa at this time.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

If you submit your application after 9th July 2012 the rules will be as follows:

1. You will need to obtain a spouse visa which will be granted to you for the period of 5 years.

2. Once you have completed the 5 years residency in the UK under a spouse visa you will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

3. Once you have obtained indefinite leave to remain for 1 year then you will be able to apply for nationality.

I hope this answers your question, if so, kindly leave positive feedback so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is currently 3 July, 2012 - If I submit NOW, is the procedure any different?

Do I need the signature/assistance of my wife? or is the marriage license sufficient?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 5 years ago.
If you submit the application now you will be granted a spouse visa for 2 years, thereafter you will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remains. After having indefinite leave to remain for 1 year you will then be able to apply for British citizenship.

You will need your wife to sign the application form as well as Provide evidence to some questions but it will not be extensive. You would also need to provide a copy of your wife's passport with your application.

If you have been residing together in the US for at least 4 years you will be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain straight away, provided you and your wife are willing to settle in the UK. Once you have been residing in the UK for 3 years you may apply for nationality.

I hope this answers your question if so, please leave positive feedback.

Kind regards