How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I met a Tunisian man in Turkey. We want to have a future together

This answer was rated:

I met a Tunisian man in Turkey. We want to have a future together here in the UK, but it is so complicated and I need legal advice.
He was working at the hotel I was staying at in March, he had just arrived in Turkey. He was working on a visitors VISA, and has now obtained a residence VISA for 6 months. So he is still working illegally in the country.

I have visited him again twice since then in Turkey. But do not know what to do. I would like him to visit the UK before we even consider marriage (perhaps to do an English course - otherwise he would get bored here during a short stay). He should return to Tunisia in October.
In the future, will it cause huge problems for him to enter the UK if he has worked illegally in another country? (Will it be impossible..?)
Should he just return ASAP to Tunisia?
Should he try and get a work VISA in Turkey first?
If he applies for a student visa to study English in the UK in the new year, would he have to reveal that he worked illegally in Turkey?
What can I do to improve his chances in the long-term of coming here?
Thank you for any advice you can provide.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to rate my answer 3 STARS OR ABOVE so that I am credited for my time.

What he must do is be completely honest in his answers in the application form for the uk. If he is caught working illegally or has overstayed then he would need to disclose this in the uk visit visa form.

If he is committing any crimes he should immediately stop and return to his home country.

If he would like to come to the uk for more than 6 months then he would need to apply for either a tier2 work visa or a tier4 student visa to undertake an English course.

Thereafter if you decide to marry in the uk then you would apply for the appropriate settlement visa.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly leave positive feedback so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Thank yor for your response - but I really wanted more detail in the answer.

Thank you for your reply.

1. He should return to Tunisia as soon as possible to avoid overstaying any longer

2. He should obtain the appropriate work visa for turkey before undertaking any employment in turkey.

3. There are questions in the application form for a visitors visa for the uk that ask if you have overstayed in any other country. This is to obtain how likely is the applicant to adhere to his visa conditions if he is granted a visa for the uk.

4. Regarding his best chance of staying in the uk on a long term visa this will depend on the type of visa he is applying for.

If he is applying for a student visa then he would need to ensure that he does not breach his visa conditions in other countries to convince the ukba that he would not breach his visa conditions once in the uk.

If he is applying to marry and eventually settle in the uk then evidence of your relationship such as email, telephone calls, tickets of visits, photos should be kept and provided when applying for a settlement visa. The ukba is more likely to overlook any minor offence committed abroad when it comes to family visas.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly leave positive feedback so I can get credited for my time. Please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions