How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi -- I am on a tourist visa and have been travelling around

This answer was rated:

Hi -- I am on a tourist visa and have been travelling around Europe for the past year and have had multiple stays in the UK. In coming to London today from the continent the custom's officer said I was being given conditional leave to enter the UK and that I have to leave in 7 days. I have a US passport and I thought that I could stay up to six months, provided I don't work or seek benefits, etc. What does this conditional leave status mean, and will it jeopardize my ability to return to the UK in the future?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try and help you with your question.

You should have been given reasons for the decision. Were you?

What is the purpose of your visit this time? How long did you wish to stay?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The customs agent said that I could only spend 6 months in the UK in a year. I have not done that. Then she said that in order to ensure that I return home, she's was only going to allow me to remain until the 6th of July in the UK. I am a writer and I am gathering information for a documentary about health and diet as practiced by personal trainers. I'd like to stay one more month to finish up my research. I am self-employed and am based in Newport Beach, California.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
, I can't rate you because I haven't received a complete answer.

I am happy to deal with your UK immigration law issues.

It seems that the UK immigration officer may have felt that you were visiting the UK extensively and perhaps residing in the UK and as such gave you conditional leave to enter for 7 days.

You are not automatically entitled to 6 months leave to remain every time you enter the UK, as you have seen in your case.

You now have two options:

1) leave the UK on or before the 6th July and apply for a UK visa from the US; or

Y2) ou may apply for an extension in country (from within the UK) using form FLR(O):

There is a fee for this and you must submit your application on or before 6th July.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience: English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
UKSolicitorJA and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you