How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Awan-Legal Your Own Question
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 128
Experience:  Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Awan-Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can i apply for British citizenship ? my name is XXXXX XXXXX am

This answer was rated:

can i apply for British citizenship ? my name is XXXXX XXXXX am from Romania married to a British citizen since November 2011 we have to children together oldest 5 and half and youngest 2.i am not working haven't been working either my husband been supporting the family since 2006.will i be eligible

Awan-Legal : Hi
Awan-Legal : Unfortunately you will not be eligible unless you have been working in the uk for the past five years and held permanent residence for one year (6 years total) in your own right as an EEA national.
Awan-Legal : You can apply for a spouse visa on the basis of your marriage to a British national to obtain the right to indefinite leave to remain after 2 years. Once you have then held Indefinite leave to remain for one year, you will then be eligible for British naturalisation.
Awan-Legal : The requirements are as follows:
Awan-Legal :
Awan-Legal : I am sorry if that is not the answer you were hoping for but that is the law I am afraid.
Awan-Legal : I hope that helps.

Thanks for your help but i don't think that's the case EU nationals don't need a visa to be in UK but thanks i will probably have to contact the home office and clarify the situation

Awan-Legal : That is correct - you do not need a visa, however, for British citizenship you need to acquire either permanent residence or indefinite leave to remain before being eligible for British citizenship. The only way you can do that is by either having worked for five years which would mean permanent residence at that stage and then one year after that you would be able to apply for British naturalisation or by obtaining a visa which would give you indefinite leave - hence my advise above. Hope that clarifies.
Awan-Legal and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions