How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother a South African Citzen married a British Citizen

This answer was rated:

My mother a South African Citzen married a British Citizen in 1967. From this time on he became my legal guardian and my father. He raised me,paid for my education etc. My mother obtained British Citizenship in 1986.
My mother has since died but my father and I are still very close with a father daughter relationship. We currently both reside in the UK but I am of course on a visa. Any chance I would be elegible for a british passport?
Thanks for your question and detail you have provided.

I note your question regarding citizenship which I will answer but gor clarity and the avoidance of doubt, could you please respond to the following USING THE SAME NUMBERING:-
1. What visa are you in the UK on?
2. When did you enter the UK and on what visa
Kind regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

On a Tier one with my husband

Entered in September 2010 so are due to renew soon.


Thanks for your reply.

I am afraid that the fact that you had a British Step parent who because you legal guardian along with your mother does not afford you a right to citizenship I’m afraid.

There are provisions in place for children adopted by British adoptive parents to apply for citizenship but this does not also apply to step-children, rightly or wrongly (I am sure you consider it wrongly).

If you were a minor and your mother and natural father had passed away and your stepfather took over sole responsibility then he could certainly apply for leave to remain for you so that you could have travelled here and then naturalised, but obviously this is not the case here.

Instead you will have to focus on renewing your Tier 1 visa and remaining observing the conditions of your visa and naturalise after you have reached 5 years in the UK and meet the criteria on the following page:-
Please note in particular the time outside the country provision on the above link.

I am sorry I could not have better news for you.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 3 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you