How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning - my wife is a non-EEA family member of an EEA

This answer was rated:

Good morning - my wife is a non-EEA family member of an EEA citizen (myself). My wife has had an EEA4 permanent residence card since Dec10 (acquired right of permanent residence in Jun10 having been married to myself since Apr05). We are planning to divorce, however my wife wants to apply for British citizenship. Will the divorce have any bearing on on her residency status and hence her ability to naturalise ? I cannot get a definitive answer from any online forum whether the EEA4 becomes invalid upon divorce ? Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

Hi thank you for your question.


As she has permanent residence in the UK which is equivalent to Indefinite Leave to Remain, your divorce will not effect her ability to apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen.


Permanent Residence can be revoked on the basis of Public Policy, Public Health, or Public Security or if the EEA national and/or non-EEA national family member has been away from the UK for more than 2 consecutive years.


I hope this answers your question.


Kind regards,


UK_Lawyer and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions