How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. I have a 5 year multi entry 180 day stay visa to UK

Resolved Question:

Hello. I have a 5 year multi entry 180 day stay visa to UK which started on the 1st of September. My question is does the 180 days start fresh each 1st September? or perhaps Jan 1st? Thank you. Irina
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question and detail you have provided.

For clarity and the avoidance of doubt, could you please respond to the following USING THE SAME NUMBERING:-
1. When do you propose to travel to the UK please
Kind regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello. I am in the UK now on this visa which i have had for 2 years already. I just wanted to know when the 180 clock starts. 1st sept the anniversary of granting my visa or on calender year 1st jan, Thank you. Irina
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi Irina,

Thanks for your reply.

It is not linked to a particular day because the criteria is that you should not spend more than 6 months out of ANY 12 month period.

This means that when you attempt to enter the UK the officer will look at your passport and the 12 months immediately before and see if you have reached your 180 days allowed under the multi-entry visa.

Before each proposed visit to the UK you should count back 12 months from the date you are planning on traveling and add the amount of days you have spent in the UK. If it’s 180 or more then you cannot travel.

If it’s around 160 or so days then they may require site of your return tickets when you arrive in the UK because you would be quite close to your maximum.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions