How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A friend of mind was married to an EEA in 2010 and he is permit

Resolved Question:

A friend of mind was married to an EEA in 2010 and he is permit was granted.but later home offiices send a questionnaire to my friend. So what does that mean?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question and detail you have provided.

For clarity and the avoidance of doubt, could you please respond to the following USING THE SAME NUMBERING:-
1. Where is your friend now
2. Is your friend still married to the EEA national
3. What does the questionnaire say

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still in uk..still married to the EEA national.asking how they meet and if the married is genuine
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

When did they meet?

Is the marriage genuine?

Do they live together?

Did your friend applying for a Residence Card once they travelled here? Was she granted a Residence Card?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They meet at a friend party .and the married was genuine.yes they are living together .granted a residence card with is 5yrs permit
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
What were the dates of marriage and meeting please?

When does the residence card expire please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think he married in 2009 and they meet in 2007.the permit card expire 2014
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your reply.

The UKBA are tasked with policing UK borders, which includes ensuring that people who are already in the UK still have a right to remain here. In the case of a non-EEA national who is married to an EEA national their right to remain depends entirely upon their marriage.

If the marriage broke up or was not genuine then their right to remain would be curtailed. The UKBA carry out periodic random checks as well as ones based on information disclosed to them which suggests falseness or separation. This is probably one of those.

They should answer the questions as honestly as they can without volunteering too much and return the document to the UKBA. I would expect that the most that would happen would be that they would be invited for interview to make absolutely sure first hand that the marriage is genuine and that there is an emotional relationship in person which is plain to see.

They will be fine. If they intended to issue removal directions based on information that they already have then they would have done this straight away rather than send a letter.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you