How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have Scottish grandparents on my mothers side and an English

Resolved Question:

If I have Scottish grandparents on my mothers side and an English grandmother on my father's side, am I eligible for any kind of Scottish or British passport?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. What nationality are you
2. What gender are you
3. What is your date of birth
4. Where was your father born
5. Where was your mother born
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



I am South African, male, born 27 September 1958. My mother was born in South Africa; both her parents came from Edinburgh, Scotland. My father was also born in South Africa. His father was South Africa, his mother from Norfolk, England.




Kind regards



Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX answer in an hour.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. .
UK Citizenship is permitted to descend to persons born outside the UK for only one generation.
So, if your grandparents were born in the UK and had UK citizenship then it would be permitted to descend to your father/mother if they were born outside the UK. This is called Citizenship By Descent. However, because you were also born outside the UK it cannot descend a further generation from your parents to I’m afraid.
If you are from a commonwealth country then you can apply for an Ancestry Visa on the basis of your granparents so that you can come to the UK to work:-
Once you have been here for 5 year you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain so that you have a permanent right to stay in the UK without a visa. 12 months after that you can apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen provided you meet the criteria on the following page:-
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions