How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I have discovered that before we can give notice of intention

Resolved Question:

I have discovered that before we can give notice of intention to form a Civil Partnership, we have to "establish a residency" of at least 7 days in the borough where we want to have the ceremony before registering the intention. What does "establish a residency" mean exactly. Does staying with friends count? How can we provide acceptable evidence of this?
I am currently overseas (UK citizen). My partner is a Lebanese citizen resident in UK on a full time student visa. I will be returning to settle permanently in the UK at the end of June this year. We intend to set up home in Devon, but wish to complete the Civil Partnership in London where our friends and family live.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for requesting me.

The registrar at the registry office where you are to marry will have a degree of discretion and flexibility. They are professionals and, really, there is no substitute for getting your advice from them. So, I would advise emailing or phoning the superindtendent registrar now to set out when you propose to marry and what your actual travel plans before the wedding are.

If you propose to stay at your friends or family in London then say that. It may be that the registras accepts what you say simply by getting you to sign statement confirming as much. If this is not acceptable I usually I think they will require confirmation in the form of a statement or letter from the friends or family that you are staying with. This is normally sufficient and you should check the availability of the friend you shall stay with during this time to ensure they can execute the letter and provide a copy of their passport but also (in the case of emergency) be able to attend the registry office.

A phone call or two and you will be absolutely fine.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you