How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Philippino wife & a son 11years old who lives with

Resolved Question:

I have a Philippino wife & a son 11years old who lives with me here in england, he came here in APRIL 2010 with me to live, he has a british passport etc & goes to school,his mother had to stay behind to look after her mother who was very sick at the time we where coming back to england then her father also became very ill so she had to look after him as well, now they are fit & as well as can be now she wants to come over here to be with me & her son, we have been married 15 years now, what papers does she need to get & what papers do i need to get for her to come & live here.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 5 years ago.

Hi thank you for your answer,



Did you ever live with her in the Philippines? If so, for how long?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes we lived together off &on for 6 years , 6months in england & 6 months in the philippines befor that in spain for 3 years, but the first 3 years in the philippines was all the time setting up my business etc we married in 1997
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 5 years ago.



If you can prove that you have been residing continuously outside the united kingdom together and have not only been visiting her for 6 months on and off in various different countries, then you should submit an application for Indefinite leave to remain for you partner.


However, if you can not ascertain the required documentary evidence of you residing with your wife then you would need to submit an application for a Spouse Visa. The requirements for the visa are as follows:


  • you are legally married to each other or have registered a civil partnership;
  • your wife is least 18 years old on the date when you would arrive in the UK or when we would give you permission to remain;
  • you intend to live together permanently as husband and wife;
  • you have met each other;
  • you meet our English language requirement, unless you can show that you qualify for an exemption -
  • you can support yourselves and your partner without help from public funds -
  • you have adequate accommodation where you and your dependents can live exclusively and without needing public funds.

    If you can provide documentary evidence of the above then it is likely that the UKBA will issue your wife with a Spouse Visa.


    I hope I have answered your question. If so, kindly click ACCEPT.


    Kind regards,


    UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you