UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

Hello, On obtaining my HSMP visa in India for the first

Customer Question

On obtaining my HSMP visa in India for the first time, I found that it is valid from 18/12/2007. However, I entered UK after around 2 months, i.e on 15/02/2008.

Now, my Tier-1 (General) visa is valid until 18/12/2012. However, on this date i.e. 18/12/2012, I am still 2 months short of completing a 5-year stay in the UK.

In such a circumstance, can I apply for an ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) in Dec 2012, or do I need to apply for my ILR in Feb 2013 ? ?

Solicit your help on this.

Kind regards,
SSS
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

You need to have lived here for 5 years.

As such you need to apply in Feb 2013 not from the time your visa was granted.

Please remember to click accept so that I am credited for my time. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Many thanks for your expert advice. I am told that if the gap between visa approval and entry into the UK is less than 3 months, then an applicant may apply for PR at the end of 4 years and 10 months, and the caseworker may choose to apply his/her discretion. In such a case, is it safe for me to apply for a PR in December 2012 ?

Also, my current visa is Tier-1 (General) and my wife and daughter (10-month old) are on Tier-1 (Dependent) visa. My wife has chosen to work in India for a few years now. In such a case, can I apply for my visa and my daughter's visa, without applying for my wife's visa ? Will I be questioned as to why I am not applying for my wife's visa this time around ?

Look forward to your help on this.

Cheers.
Yes there is a discretion.

Of course by the time they consider the application you may be so close to the time it may make no difference.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You have missed out on posting the answer to the second part of my query:

Many thanks.
You may be asked, but yes you can apply for your daughters and not at the same time.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. My visa and my daughter's visa is valid till the same date, because she is my Tier-1 dependent.

In such a case, are you saying that I cannot apply for my daughter's visa at the same time as mine, or I have the discretion to apply for her visa at a different time ?

Many thanks.
Again you will have discretion.

For the avoidance of doubt you could wait a couple of months.

Then you would be over the required period and there would be no doubt.