UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I have just applied for British Naturalisation but I am really

Customer Question

I have just applied for British Naturalisation but I am really worried that maybe I made a mistake with my application. About 13 years ago I was arrested and taken to a court for shoplifting and court gave me a £50 fine. (At that time I couldn't speak any english at all and shoplifting done by my friend. I tryed to stop her but she did not. So we were both arrested. I was really scared. she told me that everything would be easier if I accept the crime, so I believed her and accepted the crime in the court) I did not mention this on my British Naturalisation application at all because I believe it is spent conviction. Since then, I have never ever made any mistake like that. I have been working full time and I believe I am a good character. Would you please make this clear that If I should've say yes to question. But not to give any detail or It is right to answer the question below as a "NO"
3.6 Do you have any criminal convictions in the UK or any other country (including traffic offences) or any civil
judgements made against you?
If the answer is yes, Do I need to write back to Home office and explain about it before they go to check Police reports?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 5 years ago.

Hi thank you for your question.

As you were fined for shop lifting 13 years ago your offence has now been spent.

You do not have to give details of any offences which are "spent" under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. Under that Act certain convictions may be regarded as "spent" in the United Kingdom after certain periods of time from the date of conviction if you have not been convicted of other offences during that time. "Spent" means that it will be ignored.

As you were given a fine, community service/community punishment order

or compensation order your conviction would have been spend after 5 years, your application will not be effected.

.

For further information please visit the following link at page 16:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/guide_an.pdf

I hope I have answered your question. If so, kindly click ACCEPT.

Kind regards,

UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

can you make my questions more clear please as I already know what you said. I am confused that;

judgements made against you?

- Is the answer of this question "NO" as I haven't done any other crime since?

- Or, the answer is "Yes" But don't need to give any further information as the 5 years past without any crime?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If I have provided you with an answer, kindly click ACCEPT.

My colleague is correct. You will have to tick the box marked NO as the fine you previously received has now been considered SPENT under the rehabilitation of offenders act.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly click ACCEPT.

If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.

Kind regards,
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.

If I have answered your original question, kindly click ACCEPT.

If you do not, I do not get credit for my time.

Many thanks,