How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Your Own Question
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11825
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
INC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

switching from PSW to dependant of a person applying ILR

Resolved Question:

Hi, I am currently on PSW permit which will expire next year. Me and my partner have been living together for 2 yrs now. My partner is due to apply for his Indefinite leave in about 4-5 months time. We are planning to get married here itself before that. I am quite unsure & concerned of some issues -:

Will I have to become his dependent first and go back to my home country and then again gain an EC or it can be done straight forwardly from within the country. I am unsure of switching from PSW to being his dependent on his ILR application. How does it work?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

If I have provided you with an answer, kindly click ACCEPT.


You will be able to Switch whilst inside the UK. As soon as your Partner has obtained ILR, he will be able to apply for a Spouse Visa for you. You will be able to make the application whilst in the UK.


If granted, you will be issued a 2 Year Visa, following which you will become eligible for ILR.



If you wish to discuss,please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi thanks for the reply.

As discussed with yourself yesterday as well. You suggested that if we are living as unmarried partners for past 2 yrs then I can add my name to my husband's ILR application as a dependent with him being the main applicant for ILR.

But I wanted to clarify that since I have not been living on his dependent visa and I have been on PSW will it not cause conflict. Will I have to first then switch from PSW to the dependent visa (which is of 27mths/2 yrs). And then after this time period apply for ILR.

Or can I get married in couple of months and just attach documentary proof of 2 yrs (i.e. we stayed together) with my husband's ILR application and then I shall qualify for it as well.
Expert:  INC replied 5 years ago.



You will only be able to add yourself onto his ILR application if you h ave been living in the UK as his dependent. If you have been in the UK on your own visa, this will not allow you to obtain ILR and you will first have to obtain a Spouse Visa.


You cannot now just switch into being his dependent if you are not married and will have to obtain a Spouse Visa once he has obtained his ILR.



If I can assist further, please feel free to ask further questions.


Kind regards,




INC and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions