How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a UK citizen(67yrs of age) as is my partner who is Thai

This answer was rated:

I am a UK citizen(67yrs of age) as is my partner who is Thai by birth.I have given my partners sister a letter of sponsership and copies of passports to facilitate sister in laws proposed 6 month holiday in UK this summer for which she will require a VISA.
I am being told that i must show evidence of my financial viability to support her whilst she is in the UK.I have never been asked to do this previously,can you advise if this demand is correct?
Alistair Drummond
PE34 4SP
Hi Alistair,

Thanks for your question.
Yes, they are entitled to ask for financial records of the sponsor. This is because as part of the criteria of a visitor’s visa it is required that the visitor be able to support/accommodate themselves during their stay without requiring access to public funds.

Therefore, if you apply to sponsor the visitor you are effectively saying that you shall cover the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during the stay so that they will not need to access public funds. In actual fact, this is not enforceable against you by the UKBA so if she did access public funds then they would not come looking for you but they nevertheless need some assurance so they take you at your word.

In order to be considered an appropriate sponsor you must be able to demonstrate that you are able to do what you saying you will do and this includes showing them that you have the money to cover the costs of the stay. Therefore they ask for you financial records.
When acting on a visitor’s visa application I always ask the sponsor to execute a statutory declaration of sponsorship with bank statements annexed , so it’s really not out of the ordinary.
I appreciate that they may not have asked before but suspect that they must not have considered the previous applicants as great a risk of any overstay as your partner’s sister. That being said the UKBA’s treatment of applicants vary wildly so it would not surprise me if they had not asked for this when she applied for a visa earlier.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.
If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks for your kind accept Alistair