How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Knox Your Own Question
John Knox
John Knox, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 1155
Experience:  solicitor with 8 years experience
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
John Knox is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there, I have just received the indefinite leave to remain

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have just received the indefinite leave to remain in UK after spending 5 years here.
My employer would like o transfer me overseas for couple of years.
My question is: if i come back to uk after 2 years and I stay one year additional, would I then be eligible for the UK naturalisation?
Thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  John Knox replied 5 years ago.

I will do my best to help you with this.

If you stay away for two years, that will cause difficulties for your naturalisation application.

You need to be in the UK for 5 years prior to your application to be naturalised and must not have been outside of the UK for more than 450 days during that 5 year period. If you were away for two years at this stage, you would breach that requirement.

Expert:  John Knox replied 5 years ago.

Please remember to click ACCEPT so that I receive credit for my work.

Thank you very much