How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work on a student visa in London, expires July. My divorce

Customer Question

I work on a student visa in London, expires July. My divorce will final October, I want to marry again very soon after, new friend is EU resident. Will I have to go to Philipines again, or can I stay in UK after July and wait to October for marriage permission?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your question.
You will be able to switch to a residence card once you are married provided that your current leave to remain has not expired.

Obviously this requires that you are married before you current leave to remain expires (and must therefore be divorced to enable this) and also that you make the application for a residence card before this time as well.

The criteria is much less strict that for a spouses visa for a spouse of a UK national, all that is required is that you show that you married to an EEA member state national and that they are exercising treaty rights in the UK
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,


Related UK Immigration Law Questions