Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
18726264

Hi I have a skri lankan girlfriend at present working in southern

Hi
I have a skri lankan girlfriend at present working in southern cyprus who I would like to bring back to the UK for a holiday and eventual residence here in the UK. What problems if any am I liable to encur with such a venture
Can you explain what you mean by "holiday and eventual residence"? Do you have a clear plan? What is her immigration status in Cyprus?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is at present working as a farm help in southern cyprus but wishes to return to the UK with me on her Skri Lankan passport. It will be as a visitor but we may apply at a later date for residency IF we were to marry. Will there be aproblem upon entry at Bristol airport for her initial visit, and how long will she be allowed to stay.
She will need to obtain a visitors visa before coming to the UK. If she is granted a visa then she can stay up to 6 months. She will need to show she has sufficient means to support herself during her visit, that she is a genuine visitor and will leave at the end of the visit.

You can find out how to apply on the UKBA website see here http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/general/

If she comes as a visitor then even if you marry she has to leave the country and apply fro a spouse visa before returning. Short term visits must leave at the end of their visit and are not permitted to apply to stay in other long term categories.

You could apply initially for a fiancée visa and then if you marry she can stay on after that but it may not be easy to obtain a fiancee visa depending upon how established your relationship is.

If she gets a visitors visa but immigration suspect she is not just a short term visitor and will not leave then she may be refused entry at the airport.