How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a british citizen I live in holland with my husband...I

Resolved Question:

I am a british citizen I live in holland with my husband...I recently gave birth and would like to get my child a british passport is this possible?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Are you British by birth
2. Where was the child born please
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Was born in Australia my mother is british


Child born in holland

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

What nationality is the father of the child and where was the father born please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dutch and was born in holland
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I’m very sorry but your child does not qualify for UK citizenship under the British Nationality Act 1981. This is because you yourself were not born in the UK. You obtained your British Citizenship by descent from your mother. Therefore you have British Citizenship by descent.

The problem with citizenship by descent is that it can only descent one generation to children born outside the UK. Had your children been born in the UK then they would be britihs. As the child has been born outside the UK your citizenship cannot descent to them I’m afraid.

Obviously if they are Dutch though they can apply for a dutch passport and have full treaty rights to come here to work/study whenever they want. An EEA national can apply for permanent residence once they have been for 5 years and then naturalise as British 12 months after that though.

Sorry it could not be better news, I’m sure you must think it very unfair

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you