UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
62162956

I came to UK on a family reunion visa under the sponsorship

Customer Question

I came to UK on a family reunion visa under the sponsorship of my father who was granted asylum (5 years). I got a place t study Biomedical Science at Metropolitan university and I applied for Student Finance, provided all the documents required and they keep asking me to provide a letter from the Home Office showing my refugee status . I contacted the home office and they wrote to me saying that they dont provide such letters any more. The student finance still insist on the letter and the university has now suspended me pending the payment of fees. What should I do I am just 19 ?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.

I am happy to deal with your UK immigration law issues.

Sorry to hear this. What is your nationality?

Thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am Zimbabwean
Thank you.

Did you apply for Home Fees?
I am a bit tied up now and will revert to you later. Was your application as a family member of a refugee or asylum seeker?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I applied for home fee yes and am supposed to pay the home fee £3375 and i applied as the family member of a refugee
According to this guidance from London Met Uni, you would qualify for full student support:

For the academic year 2007/08 onwards, the requirements for the family member of a refugee are as follows: you will have to be a member of the refugee’s family (and, if a child of the person granted refugee status, or of their partner/civil partner, under 18) at the time of the refugee’s application for asylum in order to be entitled to Student Support.

So you should have been under 18 when your father applied for asylum.
You must also be ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course (1st September for Autumn starters; 1st January for Spring starters).

See here: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/fms/MRSite/psd/StudServ/AIFS/Refugees%20in%20Education.pdf

You may want to seek the assistance of the Student's Union if Student Finance do not co-operate or you may complain to the Vice Chancellor.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not satisfied with the answer