How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my nephew was born in the UK in 1993 to British parents. he

Resolved Question:

my nephew was born in the UK in 1993 to British parents. he has a British passport and British Citizenship. In April 2007 he moved to the USA with his mother and returned to the UK in August 2011. Can you please advise on his UK residency status as this keeps cropping up when he's trying to get work.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

His right to be in the UK and to work in the UK is determined in this case by his British Citizenship. As he has a UK passport he is a British Citizen and therefore has the same rights as any other UK citizen.

His passport is proof of his UK citizenship. Residency (ie. Indefinite leave to remain) is only relevant to persons who are not UK citizens.

If he is having problems with potential employers then I would suggest this is more down to their lack of knowledge of the immigration rules, but some very basic research would reveal that there is no restriction on his right to work due to his passport.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you