How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 18 year old white female living in S.A. Born in South

Resolved Question:

I am a 18 year old white female living in S.A. Born in South Africa owning an Austrian passport. My maternal grandfather is Austrian, my Maternal grandmother is German and my paternal grandparents are Dutch. Will it be possible for me to obtain a student visa to study in the UK.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Robyn Vosters
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your question.

If you are an Austrian national (ie. you have an Austrian passport) then you are a citizen of a European Economic Area member state. This means that you have treaty rights and are not subject to the same immigration controls that non-EEA national are.

This means that you can come to the UK to study without needing a visa. This is your treaty right provided you will not become an unreasonable burden on the state’s public funds.

Upon entry you should have proof that you are enrolled on a course of study at a government registered institution and proof that you have sufficient funds in order to support yourself for a reasonable period without requiring public funds. You must also have insurance. Provided you have this you will be fine.

This also means that you are able to work whilst studying without a restriction on the amount of hours you work.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions