How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello. My mother is a British Citizen (since the late 1990s).

This answer was rated:

Hello. My mother is a British Citizen (since the late 1990's). My grandfather (on my father's side) is a british citizen since the 1930's. Can I apply for (1) residency (2) eventually citizenship?
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Is your mother British by birth
2. If your mother naturalised as a british citizen please state when this was
3. Where were you born
4. When were you born
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. No
2. My mom was naturalized in 2000, resided in the UK since 1988
3. Kuwait City Kuwait
4. September 28, 1973

Grandfather got his passport in 1947

Thanks for your reply.

I’m afraid that you do not qualify to be registered as a UK citizen. Only children born after the parent has naturalised have a possibility of obtaining UK citizenship as you were not you do not quality unfortunately.

The fact that your mother has naturalised also does not afford you an additional rights in terms of being able to secure leave to remain here. Ancestry working visas are only available to commonwealth citizens whose relative were British Nationals.

As such, if you wished to come to the UK to work and eventually settle here then you would have to apply under one of the points based system worker visas:-
If you come to the UK on a worker visa then in most cases you can apply for indefinite leave to remain once you have remained in the UK on that visa for 5 years. 12 months after obtaining ILR you can apply to naturalise as a UK national if you wish

I’m sure you consider it very unfair and I do have sympathy with you.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just one final question...sorry to have bothered you. Does my grandfather's citizen draw any influence at all? Also once I accept the answer the charge i bare is only the 63 GBP correct?

Your grandfather's ciitzenship would only be relevant where you were a commonwealth citizen I'm afraid. You could then have applied for an Ancestry Visa.

If you have signed up for a one off fee then yes, once you click accept that is the only charge.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you