How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear Sir/Madam Im an overseas student, ive been in the uk

Resolved Question:

Dear Sir/Madam
I'm an overseas student, ive been in the uk since may 2005, i left the county more than once, but not more than the allowed period, i still have my visa valid,my daughter was born in Edinburgh she left the county for 4 weeks when she was 4 month( she is back to UK now). my question is can i or my daughter apply for a citizenship or settlement ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.

I am happy to deal with your UK immigration law issues.

You would only qualify for settlement in the UK after having lawfully spent 10 years in the UK on a student visa under the long residence rules:

Once you get ILR, you may apply to register your daughter as a British Citizen.

Alternatively, your daughter may qualify for British Citizenship in her own right after living in the UK for the first 10 years of her life.

Hope this helps. Please click on Accept
UKSolicitorJA and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

hello again,

regarding to the previous talk, I still have some questions, as you said before if i spend 10 years lawfully in the UK i can get the settlement.However, I'm wondering when it will last ? once i get the settlement when can i apply for the citizenship?

I'm considering to buy flat in Edinburgh will it give me the settlement? and if i got the settlement after buying the flat when can i apply for the citizenship ?

if i graduate from university after living 8 years in the UK plus the 2 years post graduate work permit which is sum of 10, would the post graduate work permit counted ?

Best Regards
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

Yes, if you have 10 years continous lawful residence in the UK in any visa category, you should normally qualify for settlement (ILR), so 8 (student) and 2 (PSW) will equal 10 which means you qualify.

You can apply for UK citizenship 1 year after obtaining settlement.

You cannot obtain settlement by purchasing a property I am afraid.

Hope this clarifies.