How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

want to marry a british citizen. He receives beneifits for

This answer was rated:

want to marry a british citizen. He receives beneifits for disability and I recieve social security disability in the states. Can we still be married and will it hurt his beneifits? Also could i receive help with my disability?


Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Is it proposed that you will settle in the UK after marriage

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I would be living in the UK

Thanks for your reply.

His entitlement to his disability benefits should be unaffected by your marriage.

However, you would not be able to claim any benefits in the UK until you have obtained Indefinite Leave To Remain once you have been married for two years on your spouse visa.

One part of the eligibility criteria is that you must be able to support yourselves without the need to access public funds. This is taken to mean that no more public funds should be claimed as a result of you coming to the uK on your spouse visa. So you would have to show that you have sufficient income from any work you do or assets you have in order to accommodate and support eachother.

I can advise you further on the eligibility criteria and general supporting documents required for a spouse visa application if you wish, just submit a further question to the board requesting me via my profile and marking your question FAO Tom.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am unable to work, due to a physical disability. Can you help us find resources that would help us to have a life together?



I cannot accept instructions from customers I'm afraid. To see if this is a possibility I would detail your income/capital assets together and then arrange for your fiance to visit an immigration solicitor to advise him on your prospects of meeting the financial criteria above. You need specific advice on this

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is UKBA?
The United Kingdom Border Agency. This is who you would have to apply for your spouse visa for, they regulate immigration in the UK.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you help us with the necessary frame work for me to become a uk citizen through our marriage. I have been declared legally blind by my doctor in the us.

I'm afraid not, experts are prohibited from accepting instructions from customers unfortunately.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Tom,

Who can we contact about his housing benefits? If we marry he will lose these benefits that help pay his rent. Can we fight this in some way?

You need to contact the local citizen's advice bureau about his benefits.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions