How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

indefinite question

Customer Question

i am currently in jamaica but live in the uk. i came to jamaica because my mum passed away on the 1st of december. i have a jamaican passport and my indefinite leave to remain is not stamped in my passport. i sent off my indefinite leave to remain document to the home office in the uk for amendment and did not get it back in time to travel to my mums funeral so i had a photo copy so i travelled to jamaica with that. i was suppose to travel back to the uk yesterday and when i went to check in a man from the british high commission said i could not travel on my photo copy indefinite document, so im now stuck in jamaica and do not know who to go to to sort out this problem
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 5 years ago.

I am afraid that you would not be allowed to travel back to the UK/board the plane using a photocopy of your indefinite leave to remain visa as the photocopy could be forged or fraudulent.

You need to apply to the British High Commission as advised by them for an indefinite leave to enter the UK/settlement visa which they should not have any problem issuing as you have proof that you hold ILR in the UK, live in the UK and had to come out urgently to Jamaica to attend your mother's funeral.

You need to show them proof that you were living in the UK before you came to Jamaica e.g. doctors letters, bank statements, employment papers etc.

Hope this helps. Please click Accept and I will answer any follow up query that you may have.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions