How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im American and my husband is a duel citizen of the United

Resolved Question:

I'm American and my husband is a duel citizen of the United States and Ireland. We're thinking about moving to London and I was wondering what my status would be in terms of working over there. Would my husband need to have a job first in order for me to obtain a work visa of some kind?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


If your husband is not a UK citizen and is instead a citizen of the Republic of Ireland then you will need to apply for Family Permits as the non-eea spouse of an EEA national:-


If your husband is travelling there with you and will not have been working then there is technically no requirement to show that he has a job, because you can exercise treaty rights (a requirement for him to come) simply by being self-sufficient.

Were you coming after he had lived in the UK for 3 months then you would have to show that he had a job.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It will be easier for me to get a job over there, so just to clarify, he could NOT have a job when we moved over and I'd be able to work?

I also wasn't sure how to explain this to potential employers....what status would I call myself? Would I need to apply for the family permit before I applied for any jobs?
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


He does not need a job for you to apply for a Family Permit to travel at the same time/


Once you are here you will have to apply for a Residence Card confirming your right to reside in the UK for 5 years so that you can work. This would be stamped in your passport and so you could show your passport to your would-be employers to confirm your right to work.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions