Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Im American and my husband is a duel citizen of the United

I'm American and my husband is a duel citizen of the United States and Ireland. We're thinking about moving to London and I was wondering what my status would be in terms of working over there. Would my husband need to have a job first in order for me to obtain a work visa of some kind?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If your husband is not a UK citizen and is instead a citizen of the Republic of Ireland then you will need to apply for Family Permits as the non-eea spouse of an EEA national:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/eea-family-permit/documents/

If your husband is travelling there with you and will not have been working then there is technically no requirement to show that he has a job, because you can exercise treaty rights (a requirement for him to come) simply by being self-sufficient.

Were you coming after he had lived in the UK for 3 months then you would have to show that he had a job.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It will be easier for me to get a job over there, so just to clarify, he could NOT have a job when we moved over and I'd be able to work?

I also wasn't sure how to explain this to potential employers....what status would I call myself? Would I need to apply for the family permit before I applied for any jobs?
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

He does not need a job for you to apply for a Family Permit to travel at the same time/

Once you are here you will have to apply for a Residence Card confirming your right to reside in the UK for 5 years so that you can work. This would be stamped in your passport and so you could show your passport to your would-be employers to confirm your right to work.

Trust this clarifies, please click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom