How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English Solicitor and UK Immigration Law Expert
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im a Romanian national and intend to apply for a blue

This answer was rated:

Hi, I’m a Romanian national and intend to apply for a blue card. I’m living with my girlfriend for 2 year in London and I was wondering if I can apply for a blue card as my girlfriend is an Irish national? If is possible please can you let me know how long it takes until the blue card is issue? Thank you

Do you wish to work in the UK? What are you currently doing in the UK and do you have any registration certificate from the UK Border Agency?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes i wish to work in UK. At the moment I’m looking for a job but I’m not sure if I’m entitle for a blue card. No I don’t have a registration certificate from the Border Agency at the moment just asking around to see if I am eligible for a blue card.
I am afraid you may only qualify for the blue registration certificate if you are married to your girlfriend or if you are highly skilled.

You will be exempt from the requirement to obtain authorisation to work in the UK if:

  • you have leave to enter under the Immigration Act 1971 and that leave does not place any restrictions on taking employment in the UK (for example, if you have been given leave to remain as the spouse of a British citizen or as the dependant of a work permit holder); or
  • you have been working with permission, and without interruption, in the UK for a period of 12 months ending on or after 31 December 2006. For example, you are already present in the UK as a work permit holder or in some other category that confers permission to take employment (for example as a student and you have been in part-time employment continuously for 12 months); or
  • you are providing services in the UK on behalf of an employer established elsewhere in the EEA; or
  • you are also a citizen of the UK or another EEA state (other than Bulgaria or Romania) or Switzerland; or
  • you are the family member of an EEA national who is exercising a Treaty right in the UK (except if you are the family member of a Bulgarian or Romanian national who is subject to work authorisation requirements, or who is exempt from those requirements but only by virtue of being self-employed, self-sufficient or a student) or
  • you are the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen or person settled in the UK; or
  • you are the family member of a Bulgarian or Romanian national who is self-employed, self-sufficient or a student. You will remain exempt provided that your sponsor remains a student, self-sufficient person or self-employed; or
  • you are the spouse, civil partner, descendant under the age of 21 or the dependant of a Bulgarian or Romanian national who is subject to work authorisation and holds an Accession worker card; or
  • you are a member of a diplomatic mission, the family member of a diplomat or the family member of anyone who is entitled to diplomatic immunity.

Please click Accept and let me know if you have any other query which I will answer.
UKSolicitorJA and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I Thank you for your replay. I was reading some documents on the UK border force and I saw that if you can prove that you are in stable relationship and living in UK for more than two years with a person that has right to work in UK you may be eligible for a blue card. Is that right ?
I think I have a solution for you:

If your Irish girlfriend is exercising treaty rights in the UK (self sufficient, or is working or studying), she should make an application for a Registration Certificate to the UK Border Agency on form EEA1 and include you as a family member (as you are in a durable relationship as an unmarried partner):

If the application is granted, you will have the right to work in the UK.

All the best